Since reading my friend Talya Boerner’s blog (Grace Grits and Gardening), I have thought: Rather than writing resolutions or goals for the new year, I might try choosing only one word for 2018.
According to Talya, the One Little Word concept is the brainchild of blogger Ali Edwards. The idea is to choose a single word to focus on throughout the year.
Choosing one word is in no way easier than writing resolutions. It turned out rather difficult for me, but finally I decided my one word should be EXERCISE.
• I certainly need to exercise my aging body. After battling sciatica and Piriformis Syndrome for most of 2017, I realize I must stretch and work out the stiffness each day if I am to maintain strength and balance.
• I must exercise focus to complete my novel-in-progress. For various reasons there are still gaps in the arc.
• I pledge to exercise tact, think before I speak and count ten before hitting ‘send.’
• I will exercise compassion for those who are less fortunate than I.
• I know I should exercise courage to stand up and speak up for what is right.
• I should exercise discretion about what I ‘like’ on facebook and what links I’m tricked into following.
• I’ll try to exercise patience with those who offend me, or who do not agree with my opinion.
Okay, that last one was facetious. But if I am able to incorporate all this exercise into my life in 2018, next December surely I will find myself more fit — physically, emotionally, and spiritually.
A single word for my dear readers: Blessings.